Thursday, September 24, 2009

reflecting on Exodus


Exodus is now a part of my past and it, like the rest of the bible, has left me with with some critical observations.
For instance; Exodus 29.10-35 is God's ordination to the priests on how they should go about sacrificing to him. To sum it up, God commands vast animal sacrifices daily, and is very particular about what is to be done with each part of the slaughtered animal's body. What is the point of providing God, an immortal being, with such mortal offerings of sustenance? Why does he care? And why is he such a 'jealous' God? Jealousy is such a human emotion, why would God bother himself with it? For someone who knows the mysteries of the cosmos, it is surprising how adolescent he (or she) is portrayed...
While blogging for this class I find myself, every once in a while, having to overcome the subconscious feeling of wanting to look over my shoulder. Perhaps this is the remnants of my Catholic upbringing poking me in the back and shaking its large head adorned with the funny pope hat. Either way, I remind myself that it is the year 2009, where my thoughts are free to roam about on the internet with no consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment