Monday, October 5, 2009

Concerning Bodily Discharges

I had no idea until I reached the magical chapter of Leviticus 15, that God ordained to his followers how they are to conduct themselves concerning bodily discharges. How naive I was thirty minutes ago when I assumed my bodily discharges were strictly my business. They are God's business and he reminds us over and over that we humans are foul, unclean creatures in need of CONSTANT cleansing.

After having read The Slave and seeing the perspective of an orthodox Jewish lifestyle lived in accordance with the Old Testament, I wonder how any person could possibly have satisfied EVERY rule commanded of them. If mankind lived in accordance with the bible, sheep would be an extinct species. Every hiccup, cough, and cleansing ceremony calls for a gruesome display of slaughtered lamb and splattered blood. Are our natural biological processes not more clean and pure than the constant blood sacrifices demanded of us?

I must be honest and straightforward. I've killed chipmunks before. Not out of any necessity, but because the little bastards kept hopping about when I had an air rifle in my hands. So I shot them, out of the carnal instinct to take another creature's life because I can. After the bloody episode I felt disgusted and ashamed and I quietly wished them peace and asked their forgiveness. On the opposite end of the spectrum, hardly do I ever feel more cleansed and invigorated than after a bodily discharge... These discharges are literally biology's cleansing ceremony, in which they naturally conclude with a feeling of satisfaction.

So as I sit here and scrutinize the Bible, I guess what I am really trying to say is that our bodies are more holy and self cleansing than the bloody sacrifices in which they are supposed to partake.

Cheers

p.s. In case it was unclear what bodily discharges constitute:
for males; pooping, urinating, ejaculating
for female; pooping, urinating, menstruating

No comments:

Post a Comment