Monday, October 12, 2009

reflecting on Leviticus

Leviticus is complete. Though it was a literary slice of wheat toast, I'm sure I will remember this book in years to come. This is most likely due to the smothered feeling I was left with upon my exposure to the overwhelming amount of rules.

Though I am not actively religious, I have been raised Roman Catholic and attended CCD (church class) from a young age. I believe this aspect of my background has left me with some subconscious tendencies towards caring what the bible says, and though the bible, especially the Pentateuch, was written a few thousand years ago and cannot possibly be conformed into modern day life, I find myself critiquing my own life in comparison with the many rules in Leviticus.

After 24 chapters of God's ordained rules for his followers, we the reader, reach a moment of refreshment. This is Leviticus 25, "The Year of Jubilee". It is here that God, takes a step back, holsters his wagging finger, and reminds his followers that every fifty years starting on July 10, they are to be good to one another and support each other.

This is one of the first times God has used positive influence rather than negative threats in the Bible... It is unfortunate that this was ordained only only twice every century.

No comments:

Post a Comment